May I use material or intellectual property from other academic institutions or companies in my research?

Yes, though there may be restrictions on the use or the rights to inventions if the intellectual property is being provided under a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA). It is important to document carefully the date and conditions of use so that we can determine if this use may influence the ownership rights of your subsequent research results. If you wish to obtain materials from outside collaborators, an incoming MTA should be completed. In some cases, there may be restrictions placed on the use of materials provided by companies, even if the materials are purchased.