David Cone, MD
- Professor of Emergency Medicine
- Chief, Section of EMS
- Director, EMS Fellowship
Dr. Cone is a past president of the National Association of EMS Physicians, having served on that organization’s board of directors from 1996 through 2010. He is also the editor-in-chief of NAEMSP’s textbook Emergency Medical Services: Clinical Practice and Systems Oversight. He served as project leader for NAEMSP's work in securing subspecialty recognition for EMS from ABMS and ACGME, awarded in September 2010.
He served as editor-in-chief of Academic Emergency Medicine, the journal of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, from 2009 to 2015. He is also an active peer reviewer for Annals of Emergency Medicine, JAMA, Resuscitation, Circulation, and Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. Dr. Cone is an active researcher, focusing on EMS systems.
Operationally, Dr. Cone is the dispatch medical director for the Yale New Haven Hospital Center for EMS, which provides medical oversight for 330 paramedics and 700 EMTs working for 25 EMS agencies in the twelve-town greater New Haven area. He is also the Regional EMS Medical Director for the South-Central region of Connecticut, as well as chief of the Sponsor Hospital Area Response Physician (SHARP) Team, the only state-certified physician response team in Connecticut. He is currently chief of the North Madison Volunteer Fire Company.
A graduate of the European Master in Disaster Medicine program, he founded the “Public Health Management of Disasters” course at Yale's public health school, and directed it for six years.
My research interests are in emergency medical services and prehospital care, with particular attention to disaster management and triage, time-motion studies of EMS, hazardous materials, and EMS systems research.
Specialized Terms: EMS; Disaster medicine; Hazardous materials; Fire/rescue technology; Emergency medical dispatch
- MD, College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia Univ, 1991
- Cone DC, Lerner EB, Yealy DM. Prehospital care research--the basics. Prehospital Emergency Care : Official Journal Of The National Association Of EMS Physicians And The National Association Of State EMS Directors 2002, 6:S2-8.
- Weir SD (2009), Urban search and rescue, Emergency medical services: clinical practice and systems oversight, Dubuque, IA, Kendall-Hunt
- Ting HH, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH, Cone DC, Curtis JP, Drew BJ, Field JM, French WJ, Gibler WB, Goff DC, Jacobs AK, Nallamothu BK, O'Connor RE, Schuur JD. Implementation and integration of prehospital ECGs into systems of care for acute coronary syndrome: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Interdisciplinary Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research, Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, and Council on Clinical Cardiology. Circulation 2008, 118:1066-79.
- Lerner EB, Schwartz RB, Coule PL, Weinstein ES, Cone DC, Hunt RC, Sasser SM, Liu JM, Nudell NG, Wedmore IS, Hammond J, Bulger EM, Salomone JP, Sanddal TL, Markenson D, O'Connor RE. Mass casualty triage: an evaluation of the data and development of a proposed national guideline. Disaster Medicine And Public Health Preparedness 2008, 2 Suppl 1:S25-34.
- Cone DC. Knowledge translation in the emergency medical services: a research agenda for advancing prehospital care. Academic Emergency Medicine : Official Journal Of The Society For Academic Emergency Medicine 2007, 14:1052-7.