If a Startup Needs Technology From Another Institution Besides Yale, But The Technology Is Not Jointly-Owned With Yale, Will The Company Need A Separate License?

Under most circumstances the company will need to negotiate separately with the other institution for a license. However, schools do sometimes package their technologies together in a single license agreement. For complicated technologies, the company will need to conduct a freedom to operate (FTO) analysis and confirm that the company has a path to acquire all the necessary IP components the start-up will need to make its proposed products.

Startup Guide Section: