Ron Adelman, MD, MPH, MBA, FACS
- Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Science
- Director of the Retina and Macula Service
Dr. Adelman is the Director of the Retina and Macula Service at Yale University School of Medicine. He is an internationally recognized expert in diseases and surgery of macula, retina and vitreous and currently serves as the Scientific Director of European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) and President of Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (CSEP). He has been invited faculty in 14 countries including Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico and Canada. His clinical interests include macular holes and puckers, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, complex retinal detachments, retinal vein occlusion, retinal lasers and surgery.
He has received the “Senior Honor Award” of the American Society of Retina Specialists and the “Achievement Award” of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has been recognized by the Lions of Connecticut as “Knight of the Blind” for “outstanding work throughout the state and in the global community.” Dr. Adelman’s education includes a Master of Public Health from the University of California at Berkeley, an Ophthalmology residency and a Retina fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary of Harvard Medical School. During his fellowship, he received many awards, including the Club Vit Fellow Research Award, the Ron G. Michels Fellowship Award, and Fellow of the Year 2000. He has been at the forefront of new advancements in macular and retinal diseases and has been Principal Investigator of numerous clinical trials. Dr. Adelman has published extensively, primarily in the area of retinal and macular diseases and surgery, with over 90 publications and 250 abstracts. He serves on the editorial board of several scientific journals and also serves on the Executive Committees of several medical societies.
Specialized Terms: Retinal disease and surgery; macular degeneration; diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment
- MBA, Yale University School of Management, 2011
- MPH, University of California at Berkeley, 1994
- MD, TUMS, 1987
- Clinical variables associated with failure of retinal detachment repair: the European Vitreo-Retinal Society Retinal Detachment Study Report Number 4. Adelman RA, Parnes AJ, Michalewska Z, Ducournau D. PMID: 24766870 Ophthalmology. 2014.
- Aflibercept in the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration in previously treated patients. Hall LB, Huang JJ, Adelman RA. PMID: 24552305 J Ocul Pharmacol Ther, 30(4):346-52, 2014.
- Choroidal thickness measured with Swept Source OCT before and after vitrectomy with ILM peeling for idiopathic epiretinal membranes. Michalewska Z, Michalewski Y, Adelman RA, Nawrocki J. Retina, Accepted 2014.
- Angiophagy prevents early embolus wash out but recanalizes microvessels through embolus extravasation. Grutzendler J, Murikinati S, hiner B, Ji L, Lam CK, Yoo T, Gupta S, Hafler B, Adelman RA, Yuan P, Rodriguez G. PMID: 24598589 Science Transl Med, 5;6(226):ra31, 2014.
- How do vitrectomy parameters influence the results of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment repair? EVRS Retinal Detachment Study Report Number 3. Michalewska Z, Ducournau D, Adelman RA. PMID: 24314312 Acta Ophthalmol, 2014.
- Strategy for the management of uncomplicated retinal detachments: The European Vitreo-Retinal Society Retinal Detachment Study Report 1, Adelman RA, Parnes AJ, Ducournau D. for the European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) Retinal Detachment Study Group. PMID: 23601799 Ophthalmology, 120(9):1804-8, 2013.
- Strategy for the management of complex retinal detachments: The European Vitreo-Retinal Society Retinal Detachment Study Report 2, Adelman RA, Parnes AJ, Sipperley J, Ducournau D. for the European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) Retinal Detachment Study Group. PMID: 23601805 Ophthalmology, 120(9):1809-13, 2013.
- Engineering a blood-retinal barrier with human embryonic stem cell-derived retinal pigment epithelium: Transcriptome and functional analysis. Peng S, Gan G, Qiu C, Zhong M, An H, Adelman RA, Rizzolo LJ. PMID: 23734062 Stem Cells Transl Med, 2(7):534-44, 2013
- Retinal vascular tortuosity in obstructive sleep apnea. Mohsenin A, Mohsenin V, Adelman RA. PMID: 23641149 Clin Ophthalmol, 7:787-92, 2013.
- Incidence and management of elevated intraocular pressure with antivascular endothelial growth factor agents. Abedi G, Adelman RA, Salim S. PMID: 23631423 Semin Ophthalmol, 28(3):126-30, 2013.
- Prevalence of ocular manifestations of HIV/AIDS in the highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) era: A different spectrum in central south China. Luo J, Jing D, Kozak, I, Huiming Z, Siying C, Yezhen Y, Xin Q, Lousheng T, Adelman RA, Forster SH. PMID: 23713918 Ophthalmol Epidemiol, 20(3):170-5, 2013.
- Effects of music therapy on intravitreal injections: A randomized clinical trial. Chen X, Seth RK, Rao V, Huang J, Adelman RA. PMID: 2250688 J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 28(4):414-9, 2012.
- Bevacizumab versus ranibizumab in preserving or improving vision in patients with wet age-related macular degeneration: a cost effectiveness study. Nwanze C, Adelman RA. In Press, Clinical Medicine Insights: Therapeutics, 2012.
- Microbial spectrum and resistance pattern in endophthalmitis: A 21 year review in northeast United States. Chen X, Adelman RA. MID: 22506884 J Ocul Pharm Ther. 28(4):329-34, 2012.
- Proliferation of the ciliary epithelium with retinal neuronal and photoreceptor cell differentiation in retinal detachment with proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Ducournau Y, Boscher C, Adelman RA, Ducournau D. PMID: 21932075 Graef Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol, 250(3):409-23, 2012.
- Effects of proinflammatory cytokines on the claudin-19 rich tight junctions of the human retinal pigment epithelium (RPE). Peng S, Gan G, Rao VS, Li L, Adelman RA, Rizzolo LJ. PMID:22761260 Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 53(8):5016-28, 2012.
- Adelman RA, Brauner SC, Afshari NA, Grosskreutz CL., Cataract formation after initial trabeculectomy in young patients. Ophthalmology. 2003 Mar;110(3):625-9.