A startup is a new business entity formed to commercialize one or more related intellectual properties. Forming a startup business is an alternative to licensing the IP to an established business. A few key factors when considering a startup company are:
- Development risk (often large companies in established industries are unwilling to take the risk)
- Development costs versus investment return (can the investors realize an attractive return on their investment?)
- Potential for multiple products or services from the same technology (few companies survive on one product alone)
- Sufficiently large competitive advantage and target market
- Potential revenues sufficient to sustain and grow a company
OCR can help evaluate these and other factors.